Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Day 18: My plan!

I'm so excited about my new plan. I did Body For Life for about 3-4 years in a row, in between pregnancies of which I totally did NOT do any exercise or BFL. It's basically a plan where you have your normal healthy carb/protein/veggies ratio for each meal, only eating 6 meals per day and using the palm (protein) fist (carbs) method for figuring out how much to eat. Lots of awful memories of being sooo hungry but not eating!

The workout part of it is pretty intense and involves 20 minutes of HARD cardio Tues/Thurs/Sat and Mon/Wed/Fri consist of about 45 min. - 1 hour of detailed weight lifting. I'm really thankful for the training I got for lifting weights though - I can no longer say I'm clueless about what moves to do in order to build muscle, LOL!

But all this to say that I got seriously burned out on doing it so intensely. So much so that the sight of chicken breasts still makes me want to puke and weight lifting has for a very long time been the feeling of dread every time I think of it.

BUT!! It's been maybe 2 years now, and I'm getting inspired! I've reached a point that I look fairly thin except for certain key places and I think if I work to build muscle it'll show pretty fast. That will be my inspiration. That and it's a great time to start! If I am faithful to do this for 6 weeks, that'll bring me to about mid-May when the weather really starts getting beautiful here in OR.

So what I'm going to do is this:

Monday - Quads & Hams 30 min. (legs)
Tuesday - Running 20 min.
Wednesday - Biceps & Triceps 30 min. (arms)
Thursday - Running 20 min.
Friday - Shoulders & Pecs 30 min. (arms)
Saturday - Running 20 min.
Sunday - rest

So I alternate the workouts so that each area gets worked every week. Each body part has two exercises. So the idea is to work it hard with the first exercise, then work the same muscle again immediately using a different exercise, so it becomes a well-rounded muscle. I'm really excited about this! Combined with raw, I think it'll whip me into shape really fast.

I figure if it becomes too much, I'll switch to Wednesdays being another day off, and only weight-lifting twice a week instead of three times, yet still hitting both areas each week. I know muscle takes time to build, I probably won't see real results until 3-4 weeks and I'm OK with that.

The real challenge will be jogging. I LOVE doing that, but I'm usually here alone with the kids during the normal daylight hours. Or at least, there is never any consistency to when DH will be home. So I have to either get up very early and go jogging before he goes to work, or wait until he gets home, and I really don't want to go jogging in the dark.

So yesterday I *did* go jogging - hurray - but food-wise it was a struggle. I ate half raw, half cooked. Today so far everything is going great (2:30pm) and I'm about to start my weight-lifting on arms, since my legs are pretty sore from my running last night. My tikker is starting over for the countdown to 30-days raw, and my weight is a bit up - but I'm not going to weigh until next Wednesday so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Food:

22 Dates
9 1/2 bananas
1/2 cup strawberries
3 apples
10 cups mixed baby greens
1 small avocado
1 mango
2.5 macadamia nuts (salad dressing)

Calories: 2300
85/5/10

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a good plan, Sherah! I have two friends doing BFL (in fact, my friend Ruth just posted a "Bunny" challenge for Easter month) and they're having great success with it. You should check out their blogs sometime, it's linked via my blog - Josha and Ruth. :)

Anonymous said...

Cool, Sherah! I followed BFL when I was 19, and it got me in the best shape I've ever been in. GL with it! It'll def be extra challenging with kids.

Sherah said...

Hey guys! Just to clarify, I am *not* going to eat BFL style - bleh - but I am going to continue eating 80-10-10 while following the BFL workouts, kind of modified. But gosh, I just got reminded of the "free day" once a week - yikes! THAT was fun! =) But very hard to jump back on the wagon the next day, for six looooong days....

Sarah said...

Yeah I figured that you were still going 811 on BFL (haha, all these abbreviations)...I definitely think you'll get in shape and tone up a lot quicker doing BFL on 811! I'll be interested to see your comparisons.

Both Ruth and Josha, whose blogs I mentioned, are increasing their fruit and veggie intake also, although still basically eating BFL style. R has read the 811 book and Josha is next to read it - they borrowed my book. :)