In keeping with the idea Tereza has on her blog to write down what I accomplished today instead of a "to do" list - I'm following suit. =) Yesterday was the hottest day we've had yet, 87 I think, and at night our usual wind didn't kick in. Usually it can be super hot in the day but we're blessed to live in just the right spot where it tends to get windy at night, thus blowing the cool breezes through the house.
But not last night.
The air was "dead" if that makes sense - and our house was a little inferno. The kids stayed up until about 10:45, teasing...whining...I need a drink...I need to go potty. I gave most of them a lukewarm bath but it didn't help much (amidst much crying and "I'M COLD!!" in the bath, lol). Usually they go to bed around 8:30 and all is quiet by 9:30. Not to mention that oh my goodness, I felt so crabby being that hot! I kept praying for patience and that I wouldn't let anything slip out of my mouth that I would regret - everything was soooo irritating.
The bad news is, we've got 4 more days of this coming up. It's almost 1pm and I'm already super hot and of course this little bun in the oven doesn't help much! The GOOD news is, we've prepared for this and have three window air conditioners ready to go into the bedrooms - DH just needs to put them up, which he has said he'll do this evening. I'm VERY excited about this because that way we at least have some relief from the heat during the day (we only keep the master bedroom cool during the day but all 3 bedrooms cool at night). Also, we turn it down cold enough that the kiddos get all snuggly in their blankets and fall asleep quite promptly after a full day of sun & summer play. Hee hee.
Every summer I tell myself that DUH I need to get my chores done IN THE MORNING when it's cool. Because I'm telling you, come 3pm and beyond, I have ZERO desire to pick myself up and do anything extra beyond taking care of the children. So today I started earlier than usual and now am blessed with just 4 more items to take care of, then I'm done! (Except for maintenance the rest of the day) Those are: dishes, 2 baskets of laundry to fold, spot vacuum under the table, and make dinner.
So what did I do today? Ha ha not very much, but it kind of took me a long time! Hmmm...I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm 5 weeks away from a full term baby? Most likely. I always tend to think that I can do everything like I usually do, then forget how tired I get quickly because of the heavy front I'm packing around.
Today's accomplishments (besides the norm):
Tidied the entire house except for my bedroom/bath.
Cleaned & Vacuumed girls room
Vacuumed boys room
Organized shoes & all clothes in closet (girls room)
Sorted & put away the winter girls clothes
Darn, I should've taken a before/after picture of the girls room. I didn't even think of it until now but that would've been fun to see the fruits of my labor! Oh well.
I'm still trying to figure out a good way to have the children clean their own rooms consistently. I know it isn't going to come naturally for them, but I need to come up with a routine that will get them used to it so it becomes a habit. The problem I run into is that little ones share their rooms and make some serious messes sometimes. So it's not fair to make the bigger ones clean the littles' messes, especially after they just worked hard to clean it. I know I could do it for them, but I'm also trying to work on creating a household that can run without Mom in the event of, say, a baby. =) If I can get them used to doing these things then even though they don't want to, they'll know how and will get the job done that I need them to.
1 comment:
wow only 5 weeks...i cant believe it!!!!!!
my house is like a sauna right now......thans for the reminder to pray so nothing comes out of my mouth that i'd regret!
Post a Comment