Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 41: Day 2 ~ 8 days overdue!

I never thought I'd be writing that I was EIGHT days overdue! Good thing most of it was through summer camp where I was happily VERY busy, and the time just zipped by. Now, though, it's dragging and the week is stretching out to look. very. long.

I was of course, bummed that labor didn't start last night (so was DH - he was hoping not to have to go into work today!) - it seems like when I lie down to sleep, the consistent contractions just kind of go away. It's been fun to think, though - who is this little person I am about to meet? How will he or she impact our lives? Looking at Jack, who is now 19 months old...he is such a sunshine and truly the light of our world. Everyone in our family loves baby Jack in some way, shape, or form. And yet, 19 months ago we had no idea who that little person would turn out to be. It's such a joyous occasion, birth is!

This morning, I did it. I took castor oil. I have never really been the type of person to even consider that sort of thing - it's just too weird and unknown. But after talking to several of my good friends who've had multiple babies and swear it works for them, I thought to give it a try. Apparently it doesn't work if your body is not already primed & ready for birth - it seems to be a really natural thing and something promoted by midwives, which to me means alot.

But wow, if you do some research there really is not much out there! Hard to know exactly how much to take, when, with what. So what I did is this. My DH went to the store early this morning before work and came home with "odorless, tasteless castor oil." Weird - I've never heard of THAT before - just always that it tastes absolutely nasty and some people even throw up from the taste! Yikes!

My midwife book recommends that you take 1 T. with scrambled eggs or fruit juice in the morning after a good night's sleep. Then, if needed, another 1 T. an hour later. BUT after reading alot online, and looking at other recipes, it seems that 2oz. is the norm - which is FOUR Tablespoons! Hmmm. I decided to be brave and take the latter, so I downed 4 T. of this odorless, tasteless stuff with a cup of frozen fruit blended with water. It was actually quite yummy. =)

2 hours later, not much has happened, really. I have had a bit of cramping in my tummy, and it sounds like a volcano is about to erupt, but nothing extreme at all. No nausea, dizziness. Yes, I've spent some time in the bathroom but honestly, not that big of a deal. I can see that it's cleaning me out...and I have had some contractions this morning but not much. Supposedly the labor doesn't start until later in the day so...we'll see.

3 comments:

Tereza said...

dear sherah:):)
You need to take lots and all at once. I never ever heard of just taking a tablespoonful. Mix it in strong juice and guzzle it down all right away. I can assure you....One hour and you'll be in labour!! The point is to take enough to make you have huge diearreah(sp?) like the kind you get when you are very sick with the flu...where it jsut wont stop....then the labour pain begins while you are still on the toilet.(I hope I didn't gross you out!:)I wish I could tell you the exact measure of tablespoons to take but it was a while ago and I took an entire small bottle of it. I know they come in different sizes. The amount I took was a small bottle about the size of lets say a half a tube of toothpaste. Just a disclaimer though.....I'm no medical expert...so mostly to your other readers...I take no responsibility...I'm just sharing what worked!

Our Family said...

My midwife rubbed it all over my tummy and feet along with clary sage oil. It worked twice, the first time my contractions stopped the second I gave birth.
I took the caster oil internally on another baby, 2 tbs then 2 more tbs an hour later. Had a baby the next morn.
Good luck
Oh I am a lurker
Jolin

Anonymous said...

I've heard that raspberry tea helps. Real kind, not raspberry FLAVORED.