Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ultrasound Update

So, just got back from my ultrasound. It was pretty normal as far as ultrasounds go - it looked like some kind of weird crab in my womb, lol! I can never recognize a baby on those weird looking screens. I did see the head, which was cute - but she didn't get any other cute shots like profiles or feet or anything, it was all about the femur bone, the lungs, the spinal cord, etc. I did ask her if she could tell the due date of the baby, and she said it's pretty hard to tell correctly when you're this far along.

The tech didn't tell me ANYTHING - she basically did her thing (but was nice) and then showed me the door, saying that the results would be faxed to my midwife who I could talk to about them, later on in the afternoon. So the very first thing I did upon getting out to my car was call and leave a message for her, asking her to PLEASE call me as soon as she gets the results.

Here's the weird thing. Every time she measured something like the head, femur, etc - it would show on the screen something like 38w2d...which I know means the weeks & days it measured to be. And they were consistently 38 and 39 weeks. Also, at the end, at the top of the screen it said EDD 05July09 and then UNDER that, EDD 04Aug09. So....what does that mean???? All I can think of is that the baby measured smaller than a normal "full term" baby maybe, and the computer calculated that to be my due date?

But then, DS6 was 5lb 15oz. when he was born, full term - actually 5 days late. The nurses kept commenting on how itty bitty he was, and asking me if he was full term. They couldn't believe it - and he's still small, to this day. Then my next baby was 9lb 4oz - and wow, what a difference! Also full term, 6 days late. So....if measurements indicate due dates, then DD5 would have measured BIG, as in wayyy overdue, and DS6 would have measured not due for a few weeks - if I had gotten a full term ultrasound with them.

So yeah, lots of thoughts swirling around in my head. Because if my due date IS August 4th, that means alot of things. That my house help is leaving on the 7th...and I'm always late, so my due date realistically would then be about August 10th. Ouch. But - I am clinging to my faith that was given to me this morning, knowing that the testing of my faith produces PATIENCE!!! And, not to think it strange concerning this fiery trial that is trying me, but rejoice in the fact that it is something God has seen that I can bear, and to really work on patience while I can, before it is over and this particular chance is gone.

No comments: