You ladies who have experience with due dates and menstrual cycles and all of that - tell me what you think of this as I write it out and try to make some sense of it.
My new "due date" according to the ultrasound (which the ultrasound tech admitted is not usually that accurate this late in the pregnancy) is August 4th, right? Okay, so I go here and punch in the due date of August 4th, and it tells me that my conception date was most likely November 11th. That sounds perfectly normal, right? Nine months from November to August.
Well - here's the thing. You can go here to read my post back in November when I first wrote that I was pregnant. This post is dated November 12th, and in it I wrote that I had found out ONE WEEK AGO (which would be November 7th) that I found out I was pregnant. And, that I was already feeling nauseous two days later (which is normal for me), on the 9th.
So....how can you possibly get a positive pregnancy test a whole week before you supposedly conceived? IS it even possible to test positive so soon after you conceive (assuming I conceived on November 6th), even as early as the next morning? I have never heard of it being so.
Also, according to that same calculator, that would put the first day of my last period at October 28th. Since I've always known, or thought I knew, that this baby was conceived on October 14th....why would I think so, all this time, if indeed I had a period in late October? I would have never been prompted to take the pregnancy test (because of a missed period in October) and thus gotten a positive on November 7th.
This just all seems kind of weird/fishy to me. If I didn't have that blog post, I would be much more inclined to agree that the due date is probably August 4th, believing the ultrasound and thinking I just mixed up my period dates, but...I think it's wrong. And yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I WANT it to be wrong too, I want to have this baby sooner than 17 days from now, of course! But besides the "wishing-it-to-be-true" syndrome, I honestly think that I am due sooner than that. When, I'm not completely sure because it seems kind of unrealistic that I am now 13 days overdue. That's getting to be kind of .... long for not having my cervix thinning out.
So tell me, what do you think? What has been your experience with positive pregnancy tests compared to missed periods?
My understanding is that you have your period, then approx. 14-16 days later you get pregnant. Approx. 2 weeks later your period is missed, so you take the test and wa-lah, it's positive (or it takes a few days to become positive). The test is rarely positive before your period is missed, am I right? At least, it never was for me, and I've taken alot of pregnancy tests. =)
Call me crazy.....! Whenever my due date is, I wanted to get this out in writing so I can remember the dates. I know some day I'll look back and it really won't even matter, but at least it'll be interesting to look back and see what all happened. When the baby was actually born in perspective to all these dates and questions. I know it'll come out when it's ready - but it's kind of fun to still have that "maybe" in the back of my head, that maybe it's really due sooner and thus, could really be any day. =)
5 comments:
You're right!...and your baby is due like in a week or less....
If it doesnt come in a week then go get another ultrasound just to make sure he/she is still thriving and your placenta is still working.
Of course you're right. I think that everytime I hear a doctor move a due date...like HELLO, you know when you missed your period! Yes you are right, you conceived right smack between the last period and the missed period. Some gestations are longer than 40 weeks though. I'd say you have enough experience with this whole thing! You are just having a long gestation. And obviously your baby is big enough to be full term.
Try to see the positive side of it: this way nobody will bother you for going more than 2 weeks late. I don't know about your midwife but mine told me that after 14 days late, she had to send me to the hospital - that caused a tremendous amount of stress on me back then. Yet, I have heard of women having healthy babies after being late more than two weeks. Your baby will know when it is ready ;-)
How about a 14th July due date? If you found out you were pregnant on say 7th November, it probably means your LMP was around 7th October (assuming a 28 day cycle), which means a due date of 14th July. So if that's right, you'd be about 6 days overdue now:-) Does that sound better?
Yes, that does sound right, actually! Especially since I was 7 days late with my last baby, so I'm in the right ballpark now. I'm curious if my cervix has thinned out though, since 4 days ago at the ultrasound it was pretty closed.
Post a Comment