Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New Homemaking Schedule

I am just now coming into that place where baby is starting to allow me to be on a bit of a schedule so I can kind of plan out my day into "windows" so to speak...until now it's been kind of just go with whatever fits for that day and try to cram in what needs to be done, however and whenever I can.
But I've just been flailing a bit recently, not having any type of accountability and having the "new baby" as an excuse...I am seeing SO MUCH laziness!! And it makes me grieve, as I don't want to be like that - especially with 8 kids, hello???

I know some of you have been there before, where you realize something MUST change and I MUST get my head in the game and do it differently. So I am of course, as a perfectionist, tempted to write up an extravagant, idealistic schedule that is rigid, yet helps me get things done!

Problem is, I know the first day I'm going to be too hard on myself and some things won't get done, and then I will feel like a failure and I'll hate it and do something completely stupid like eat a ton of chocolate and watch a movie as the dishes pile up. Just keeping it real. =)

So I read Tereza's loose schedule she posted on her blog, and it was like a bing!bing! lightbulb moment for me - that is ALL I NEED TO DO! Just write it down, those little things that make a difference like put the laundry away while getting the kids up, big duh! It just takes DOING it, you know? And tidying up the house for just maybe even 10 minutes before bed NOT DEEP CLEANING (because I tend to get distracted by this or that thing that all of a sudden must be done and becomes a big project and then only like 1/4 of the house gets tidied) or anything like that --- it's just a matter of having that on my "to do" list for the day, written into my routine, simple as that. No specific chores, I know exactly what needs to be done each day as honestly, I already do it. Or am supposed to to make the house run smoothly lol!
I have been feeling really squeezed lately with my workout just taking up so much of my day. I would totally get up early and do it before my day starts, but with the new baby and sleep being so precious, I just can't do it! But that's okay, I am doing what fits best but I see the need for organization for my time. Like for instance, I get my kinder Marie at school at 11:15, come home and make lunch, then nurse the baby, and I have about 45 minutes before everyone goes down for a nap and I can eat my lunch and have my own quiet time. But by then I am most days, so exhausted from my workout (in combination with the previous night's little sleep) that I can easily survey the still-needing-to-be-done Before School Mess and heave a big sigh and just.....go...sit...at the computer. But this is a slot of time that I can take a big breath, just dive in and, get it done. THEN I can reward myself with computer time for an hour along with enjoying a lunch, and wa-lah, the house is clean when I get up from my nap and I feel GOOD!

So I am excited to write up my own loose schedule and follow it as best I can.  Here it is in it's infant stage...

Evening:

After dinner - 

Put away leftover food, supervise kids chores, make sure kitchen is tidy.

Baths right after chores - Mon/Thurs Grace & younger, Tues/Fri boys.

Read with Grace & Marie for homework after chores.

Tidy the entire house after kids are in bed and run a load of laundry while cleaning up.

Work efficiently- just get it over with!

Think about the next days lunch/dinner and remove meat/bread from freezer.

Morning:

Wake up at 6:30 to nurse

Make the lunches.

Put out clothes for the day.

Wake up the kids at 7:20 - try hard not to wake them any later than that!

Be kind and patient with the grumpy kids:) they will cheer up eventually! It's early:)

Do workout as soon as you come home, and have nursed the baby. Starts the day right!

Work efficiently- just get it over with!

Take a shower immediately afterwards - computer time can come later.

Attack the housework, just get on with it. The sooner done the sooner you can do other things. Dont drag it out.

Do other things: errands, walk with the girls, baking. Whatever you need or want to.

Do lunch on time.

Prepare an after school snack! If everyone makes random things there will be a huge mess!

Relax and enjoy your kids knowing that after they are in bed the house will be tidied again:) seriously... It's ok!!!

Make a simple, nutritious supper. Don't be afraid to Repeat foods everyone loves. Gourmet is not neccesary

No comments: